One of the most powerful things you can do to help someone solve a problem is to ask great questions. My new article “Questions to Explore Problems” (PDF) gives dozens of questions that I’ve found essential in my work as a coach, including questions to explore:
- The problem in general.
- The desired state, the perceived state, and the difference between the two.
- The way the problem is stated.
- The problem’s past, present, and future.
- The way the problem is being solved.
- The way you are exploring the problem.